Improving Innovation Decision Making
A New Approach to Identifying, Evaluating, and Selecting Innovations to Reduce Post-Harvest Food Loss
How might we enhance organizations’ ability to make innovation decisions?
Working in close collaboration with AGRA through our work as the Innovation Partner on the Yieldwise Initiative, GKI developed resources and approaches aimed at helping program managers, staff and partners more easily generate insights, reframe challenges, develop and test new ideas, and determine a course of action, while contending system dynamics. In 2016, we created an innovation decision-making framework that makes key decision points along the innovation journey more explicit. We also developed GKI’s Improved Innovation Decision Making Toolset to support decision makers as they make choices along their innovation journey.
It is my sincere belief that collaborative innovation will go a long way towards consolidating collaborative advantage of this country and hopefully the consequential competitiveness of Tanzania and the region.
– Tanzania course participant
To help guide practitioners in determining what approaches and tools to take up, GKI also constructed an Innovation Culture Assessment that helps people benchmark their organization’s openness and aptitude for innovation. Taken together, these resources help partners cultivate an innovator’s mindset, better understand the systems in which they operate, and more effectively generate and evaluate innovative ideas. A 2017 rollout of our improved innovation decision making support package is occurring in Africa and Asia through a number of GKI partnerships that will advance long-term adoption of these resources and approaches.
Results / Outcomes
- Created a framework for improved innovation decision making to help make key decision points in the innovation journey more explicit
- Developed an innovation decision-making toolset with field-tested resources to support decision-makers as individuals and organizations identify, evaluate, select, and act upon innovation opportunities
- Conducted in-person and online innovation decision-making workshops and trainings for approximately 75 key actors working across Tanzania’s post-harvest loss sector to introduce and test the approach among practitioners
- Invited by AGRA and partners to engage in a multi-month rollout of the innovation toolset within the post-harvest sector of Tanzania through 2017
GKI’s Improved Innovation Decision Making Toolset [Abridged Editiobalknowledgeinitiative.org/wp-content/uploads/2017/03/GKI-Improved-Innovation-Dec-Making-Toolset_Abridged.pdfn]
Combining GKI’s best in class tools for creative thinking with those for systems thinking, the Improved Innovation Decision Making toolset helps practitioners learn how to develop and apply an Innovation Mindset to tackling complex challenges in any sector